Saturday, March 04, 2006

Sushi Knife

I ordered my Sushi Knife! I am really excited about it. Why? A nice knife (or at least one that isn't total crap) will make sushi a lot easier in a variety of ways. 1. Japanese style knives are ground down with a single bevel to form an edge, compared to western knives that use two bevels to form an edge. ( |/ Japanese knife edge, \/ western knife edge) Single bevel edges can be honed to a much sharper edge, but the edge doesn't hold as long and is harder to care for. Dual bevel edges are not as sharp, but hold an edge longer and are easier to care for. 2. The knives are made from materials that can be ground to a sharper edge (like carbon steel instead of stainless) the drawbacks are the same as a single bevel. 3. No serrations. To get a nice and clean cut it is important to slice and not tear to make the cut. Tearing cuts will cause the Nori to have small tears, and the serrations also catch the rice and other ingredients inside a maki roll and make the cut look messy. 4. Sharper knives allow a cut using less pressure. This allows making a cut without deforming a maki roll. Having a sharp knife will take inside-out-rolls from "very difficult" to "somewhat difficult", or at least I hope so.

So my new knife should "kick my sushi up a notch". I was thinking about a more expensive knife (mine was $24, I was considering a $60 one). Since it was my first knife of this style I decided to go cheaper while I learned to care for it. So if I screw up (highly probable), my life lesson will only cost me half as much. My only fear is that I have gone a little too cheap and the knife won't perform. I also picked up a wet stone (same price as my knife) the wet stone should last for years. So I need a honing steel and my sushi cutlery should be set up for a while. I can't wait to receive it and start cutting.

No comments: