Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Cookie Monster turns blue.

So I had a pretty decent weekend, I'll post more on it another time. Monday night, on the other hand, was a little traumatic.

Last night I got to bed about 12:30 AM, so I still wasn't asleep by 1:00 AM. I am somewhat of an insomniac, and it usually takes me at least 45 minutes to get to sleep. But on occasion this personality quirk comes in handy. Last night I heard a wheezy raspy and weak cough, it was soft enough that I don't think that I would have caught it if I was sleeping. In any case it was soft enough that my wife didn't even hear it. (She has hearing like a bat, for noises coming from the kids room) I went in the kids room to check it out and sure enough Cookie Monster had a case of croup. He was taking shallow raspy breaths and obiously wasn't getting enough oxygen. I rolled him over and the edges of his lips were blue. A scary thing for a Dad to see. I woke him up, in hopes of getting him to cough some of phlegm up. He must of felt like he was choking because he started to freak out, which woke up SuperWoman. We decided he needed to get into the Emergency Room, SuperWoman would take Cookie Monster to the hospital, while I stayed home with Cakes. (Who, thankfully, slept through the whole thing) Before they left Cookie Monster half coughed, half threw up, about a bouncy ball's volume of phlegm. How his throat could hold that much phlegm, I have no idea. While his breathing was still labored and wheezy, the color returned to his face, and he was at least getting enough air to survive. Then SuperWoman rushed off with him to the ER. At the Hospital they gave him a breathing treatment, (Kinda like an athsma inhaler, but with quite a bit more of a punch) and a steriod to open his throat up. They got back about 4:30 AM. Today we have our happy little Cookie Monster back, and he isn't even blue! Thank God for Insomnia, with out it I'm afraid we might not have a little boy.

When Super Woman was making the bed up this morning she noticed copious amounts of hair on my pillow that had fallen out last night. Just further proof that kids will make you bald. (They're worth it, MOST of the time)

No comments: