Sunday, August 20, 2006

DDR:Sparsomix

I mentioned in my first post that I liked playing Dance Dance Revolution. (the rest of the family likes it too) We have been playing DDR:Ultramix, the first in the series for the X-Box, for about 2 years. If DDR:Ultramix has a flaw, it is that there aren't many songs that cater to beginners (and toddlers). So Friday I decided to get DDR:Ultramix2 or DDR:Ultramix3, which have some great beginner friendly modes.

You'd think finding a popular X-box game would be as easy as 2 + 2. (After all I think I saw Progect Gotham Racing 2 at Big Lots.) And where I'm looking for any one of the two sequels you'd think I'd be able to find a copy right way. Not so. I had to go to eleven, yes thats right, 11 stores to find a copy. Over 2 1/2 hours I went to Marios, EB Games, Wal-Mart -shudder-, Game Stop, K-mart, Shopko, Game Crazy, Circuit City, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble (ok ok, I didn't really expect to find it here, its my favorite bookstore and I can never resist going in if I have an excuse) and FYE. Talk about sparse. Everywhere I went I got the same story. "We get 1 or 2 copies of DDR every 2 weeks or so and they sell within 1 or 2 days. We could sell a lot more if they would just send them." I dunno, maybe Konami making enough on their PS2 products that they don't care about the X-box.


Despite the shopping experience. (since when is that fun anyways?) I ended up finding DDR:Ultramix 3. DDR:U3 is the first in the X-box series to include a freestyle mode. Freestyle mode lets you dance however you please, and judges you on your originality, accuracy and timing. The kids love this mode. (As Cookie Monster shows us in the picture) They get to boogie, and gyrate in ways that only kids can, and the game rewards them for it. NICE! DDR:U3 has more music, more gameplay modes, and is more fun than the first. And I got the last retail copy in about 100 miles!

5 comments:

DadGuy said...

Looks like fun. We have been thinking about this, it may jsut happen if there is a mode that would work for our kids.

Sushiboy said...

Between beginner mode and freestyle mode, the kids are pretty happy. Beginner mode has nice and easy steps. Also the polygonal dancer is on a dance mat and steps on the correct arrows at the right time. So the kids have a reference, while they are playing, of where they should be stepping.

Bob said...

You guys have Shopko out there? I didn't even know that place was still around, haven't been in one in over 10 years.

Sushiboy said...

So you piqued my curiosity, Utah is second in number of stores. Wisconsin has the most. They no longer have locations east of Illinois. Which would explain why they don't have any locations in East Undershirt ;)

Bob said...

Yes, they were only here briefly. I think they closed up in less than a year. We had one in the next town south of were I lived most of my life.

They DO have one about 60 miles EAST of here!

I never noticed them when I lived in Wisconsin, probably becasue there are none in the Milwaukee metro area.